Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Is it possible to charge my Galaxy M31 with a 25 W fast charger ?

(Topic created on: 05-05-2020 10:42 AM)
Vishanavi
Active Level 9
Options
Galaxy M

My phone comes with a 15 W fast charger and with its whopping 6000 mAh battery. It takes more than 2 and a half hours to fully charge the device from dead to fully.

If I invest in a higher capacity charging brick; Am I able to top it up faster? 
Or its hardware is only restricted to draw 15 W? 

I would like to hear your advice on this one? 

36 Comments
immi007
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
yep.... supports Qualcomm quick charge

but not recommended
Solution
immi007
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
adapters are a rating simply because of 2 things. 1) they have regulators in them and 2) it is a maximum output.

the power management ICs control current very strictley and wont let out more current than the value they are set to deliver but continously supplying that amount of current at high voltage increases the power and thereby ending up charging battery fast.

15.0v but if u take a DMM n measure it you get 14.0v to 14.5 something mostly .... charger puts out 15.2v its much more going to be near 15v than the chargers which output 15v thereby fast charging.

simply you get fast charging but the difference is small and by using 25 w charger

1 more heat would be generated

2 load on the said chip will be increased

3 if chip fails - your motherboard will be fired up..... happened to my friend when he charged pixel 1 with OnePlus charger (also due to diff charger)

Solution
Š
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
Now a days charging adaptors usually support different speed charging. eg. The adapter which ship with M31 support 15W fast charging and 5w charging.
And the device won't accept above 15w. So even if we connect a 25w charger it will charge at lower speed which is supported by the device.
immi007
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
yes... I'm saying usually higher watt charger provides continuous power output consistently near to max power output then normal one.... soo using it will give less charge time but there difference is small and unnecessary to use it coz of cons

PIC
i too saw Gsmareana review....
I'm telling it above one by people who tested the charge flow using dmm
Vishanavi
Active Level 9
Galaxy M
@Ajoosam

I charge it overnight using an Automatic Power Cut-off Smart Plug. I will set the hours and go to sleep. Kill two birds with one stone.

> Less stress on the battery.

> No overcharging.

I mentioned it because in the article above describes the option to disable the fast charging to reduce the pressure on the battery on overnight charging.
Š
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
Your device restricte charging to 15 W.
Buying 25W is waste of money.
Galaxy M
This will harm your device hardware and battery life.
I never recommended to do this with any device.
immi007
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
doesn't effect 'battery' but may be hardware
Galaxy M
when you use more powerful charger then the regular on the temperature of battery increase and then the life of the device effect.