Original topic:

Guaranteed 4 years of security updates

(Topic created on: 02-27-2021 08:20 PM)
KarN16
Active Level 2
Options
Galaxy M
Recently i came across post stating that Samsung m51 will received 4 years of security updates. If this is true then it would be really awesome since company launch too many products nowadays and start to ignore their old devices

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/samsung_promises_at_least_four_years_of_security_updates...
11 Comments
DarkClawX
Expert Level 2
Galaxy M
yes. its true
0 Likes
BearXXV
Active Level 10
Galaxy M
Yeah, I don't know if that's official but yes that news is out. I think it's great and that'll be very nice of Samsung if they did this.
0 Likes
syedhammad
Active Level 4
Galaxy M
2 year of major update n after that u vil get security updates
0 Likes
Galaxy M
Thats true and official news, First they promised 3 years of major updates for 10 series + phones and now this.
This is just a great great news.
0 Likes
b1ttu
Expert Level 2
Galaxy M
I think 🤔
Security updates isn't effective.. they just uploaded hashes.. which is in KB.
You can use totalscan db.. the thing is.. Samsung make it official(nothing else)

also Android run on Linux kernel.. so no virus can harm your phone...
only apps can do... & Google Play Protection still there for you...

If app recoded with malicious code.. then harm your data.. still app ask for permission in Samsung. According to A11 (permission manager)
0 Likes
Nick95
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
If you have no/half knowledge then stop from using that here. You can check about fixes here (https://security.samsungmobile.com/securityUpdate.smsb) , this is Samsung owns patches and for Android one go to Android security bulletins.
Android can easily gets malware(and had done in past), and it can bypass permission manager too in some case by exploiting vulnerability in different components of operating system. Some times ago one malware which was found in app with install base of millions (bypassed play protect by obfuscating the code, later revealed by Norton security and then removed by google) was stealing banking related information, other time one malware was stealing clipboard data, one vulnerability was allowing to overflow stack and installing adware in phone to get ad clicks. There was one exploit where you don't even have to install any application.Unauthorized actor just need to send sms with hidden code, which executes itself without opening sms and install the requare code in Android and do its dirty work
You see, lots of things have happened in past. And security patches are important and integral part update.
They(malware) are not just simple app, they target specific vulnerability to bypass all the restriction of OS.

Second:- Play store protection can easily be fooled lots of time , like CM coperation (owner of Es file explorer , CM beauty , and other popular app with more than 100 million installation) banned by Google when they found their app contains malware (revealed by independent security researchers, not google), or just 2 week ago a Barcode scanner application with 10 or 100 millions installation was in play store with malware.
b1ttu
Expert Level 2
Galaxy M
I dont know i laugh or cry for you.
0 Likes
Nick95
Active Level 7
Galaxy M
Half knowledge will get you this only. FYI malware and Viruses are different thing
0 Likes
b1ttu
Expert Level 2
Galaxy M
It's not half knowledge.. i just not type too much
0 Likes