Original topic:

Am I safe from the app I have mentioned named "MMIGroup"?

(Topic created on: 10-03-2020 11:18 PM)
sahababd4
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy M
I have an app on my Samsung Galaxy A10S called MMIGroup.  I can't change notifications, permissions(and it has access to camera, phone, storage, message, location, and more all).  It can't be force stopped or uninstalled either.  Is this a Samsung app that is needed to or is this some sort of malware?  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it?  I've tried easy uninstaller, malware bytes, and Kaspersky.  It doesn't even seem to come up in those. Google Play Protect also doesn't show this app but MMI Group App Taken All Permission and there is no way to disable permission cause this Permission switch is disable
Why this app has taken all permission?
13 Comments
Ehsank
Expert Level 5
Galaxy M
this is not a malware, this is Samsung inbuilt app
you can't uninstall it even disable
you can only do is
long press on icon
then go to

A. Mobile data> allow background data usage>off

B. Battery >allow background activity >off.

c. notifications >disable of enabled
LoriB
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M

Please clarify as I am kind of technologically slow. Long press what icon where? I tried MMI Group, I tried notifications, data, and the 3 dots in the top right corner. All I got was statements saying "this is required for application to operate".

0 Likes
zukie
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M

I am having this issue as well, I did talk to Samsung Support and I have an A21 Galaxy.  Support verified that this was NOT a preinstalled app.  Mine is locked down I cannot disable it or change permissions every setting is locked down.  I did a factory reset and Samsung sent me to an samsung dealer to do a software refresh neither one worked.  You cannot even find this app int he app store.  It is actually a Samsung Electronics app used for syncing devices at home so you can control everything with your phone.  But there is no interface on my screen again no control over the app.  I think someone has synced my phone to their devices and has admin control on my phone.

0 Likes
VictoryGuy
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M

So I also contacted Samsung support chat.

They confirmed with me that it is in fact a pre-installed firmware component.

Below is the full log of my chat with them. Unless their support has been co-opted by malware developers, it is indeed a Samsung app. But I still do not trust it.

========================================================

Thank you for connecting Samsung Live Person Support. We will connect you to an agent shortly.

You are now chatting with Sylvie.

Sylvie
Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Canada support. How may I assist you today?

Me
Hey there. I just got a new A7, and there's an app on it that has *all* privileges and seems to be doing nothing for me. it's called mmigroup; it looks very sketchy and I need to know what it's for.

Me
I did not install this app.

Me
I've looked online, and it seems nobody can get a straight answer on this app.

Sylvie
Congratulations on your new purchase.

Sylvie
I'll help you with the information on the app.

Me
Great.

Me
It must have admin rights, because I cannot change any settings for it.

Sylvie
Do you have the option to uninstall the app?

Me
No. Nobody does.

Sylvie
Thank you for letting me know.

Me [trying to share info about the app]
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/233665/what-is-mmi-group

Sylvie
This is a pre-installed app then which is included with device firmware.

Sylvie
I am sorry we don't have an access to the 3rd party websites.

Sylvie
It is actually a Samsung Electronics app used for syncing devices at home so you can control everything with your phone.

Me
So what does it do? What data does it collect?

Me
why is it not uninstallable? Those are a lot of privileges it uses. All of them in fact.

Sylvie
The pre installed apps which are included with the firmware can't be uninstalled.

Sylvie
Is there anything else I may assist you with?

Me
So be it. And I'm not directing this at you, but I worked for several very big tech companies for 30+ years. Please pass along to your management how absolutely bush league this "mmigroup" app makes Samsung look. I may just put this tablet in a drawer and forget about it.

Me
Thanks for your explanation.

Sylvie
I will take this as a valuable feedback and pass it on to the team concerned.

fzewaki
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M

VictoryGuy,

It's a good thing you told the tech that you worked for several very big tech companies for 30+ yrs.  if you don't say that and have only worked for smaller companies for 10 yrs then nothing will be done, they won't take you seriously.   What I do is tell them I graduated from Harvard and that I work for a big law firm, that does the trick too.  So, the tech really does care about your work experience.  They follow a support script and in that script in bold text there's a note which reads "NOTE:  ESCALATE TO SECRET LEVEL 5 SUPPORT IF USER WORKED FOR BIG TECH COMPANIES"

0 Likes
Galaxy M

IDK How long this app has been on my Samsung Galaxy Tablet,  but the first thing I noticed; is the fact that within the Settings Applications,  MMI Group, is this fact that there is no place to be able to tell you where it came from!

Next was the fact that it has all permissions! And it doesn't "Look like it's going to play nice!" This is why I typed in a search, to find out what it is and or does!?

I accidentally created a dictionary once, to which does not show where it came from.

I know that I created it through!

How do you know that this is a Samsung Application?

0 Likes
Robbslo
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M

Found something interesting to open mmigroup

go to the dial pad and enter *#*#88#*#*

wait a few seconds and the app will open

you know you did it right if the numbers you 

entered dissapear.

0 Likes
erik160
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M

WTFFFFFFFFF

I did the above and entered #*#*88#*#*. It created a list of tests and I manually failed each one. I don't know if this did anything. I bought an A21 2 weeks ago and immediately deleted and disabled everything I don't use, ie. "solitare", "tiktok", etc. This app was not present at that time. I got a notification this morning that the app installed last night. How the FFF can it be a pre-installed app? I have not yet and will not enter a credit card number into this phone, however it appears that this app syncs to all other devices. I'm UPSET! Obviously. If anyone one of you sleuths can figure this that out, pls post again. Thanks and good luck. E  

0 Likes
erik160
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy M

OK me again. I decided to open app info on phone again after my post about "failing" each test. Now I was able to "force stop" the app. Oh my, I feel better after 15 seconds! At least now I have a little control. Good Luck!

0 Likes