Original topic:

Rant: Samsung has the worst compass sensor. Period.

(Topic created on: 11-19-2022 06:57 AM)
hexdrogen
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy A
My latest A33's maps works fine but not always. I have to recallibrate its compass every 3 to 6 hrs to get the direction right if I'm traveling. It never shows the right direction when opened after a long time. 

It would be even fine if it is the same deviation throughout. But it is not! It changes direction every single time! I never understood the logic behind it. The compass can sometimes take upto a horrific a 90° deviation on either direction. Can you imagine how bad that is on a busy street? I couldn't trust my phone at all!

I thought of giving this to my mom and buying a new phone. But guess what, the problem exist in so many devices from A and M series. I have checked 6 different phones so far. All released in the last 3 years. All have this issue. 

I even visited a service centre for help. But the solution they gave is resetting the settings which quiet surprisingly worked, for a few days. 
I feel like banging my head everytime I travel. 

Samsung has so many nice features, I don't want to move to some other device. But it seems like i have to move on. Sorry samsung. 

Also anyone else facing the issue? Maybe we can stage a protest (just kidding). But speak up...I guess.
14 Comments
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
Yes, it aligns and moves in the direction of the phone's movement as soon as I move the phone. Fun fact - My GPS turns on only when I open the map(Bixby routines) and yet it starts working well within 5 seconds.

Nb: I have A52s5g, not A52.
hexdrogen
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
Nice 👍
My Bixby routine shows the compass side bar with maps so that I can calibrate it lol
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
Hmm don't know what's the issue. Mine shows everything correctly but sometimes shows that the accuracy is low(surprisingly, the direction shown is correct at that time too!).
0 Likes
hexdrogen
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
I'm happy for you brother. It's working as intended 😃
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy A
Did you notice the blue dot moves on its own even if you are stationary. Sometimes my location history shows I was at a place where I never went actually.
0 Likes