Original topic:

Rant: Samsung has the worst compass sensor. Period.

(Topic created on: 11-18-2022 11:02 PM)
hexdrogen
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy A
My latest A33's maps works fine but not always. I have to recallibrate its compass every 3 to 6 hrs to get the direction right if I'm traveling. It never shows the right direction when opened after a long time. 

It would be even fine if it is the same deviation throughout. But it is not! It changes direction every single time! I never understood the logic behind it. The compass can sometimes take upto a horrific a 90° deviation on either direction. Can you imagine how bad that is on a busy street? I couldn't trust my phone at all!

I thought of giving this to my mom and buying a new phone. But guess what, the problem exist in so many devices from A and M series. I have checked 6 different phones so far. All released in the last 3 years. All have this issue. 

I even visited a service centre for help. But the solution they gave is resetting the settings which quiet surprisingly worked, for a few days. 
I feel like banging my head everytime I travel. 

Samsung has so many nice features, I don't want to move to some other device. But it seems like i have to move on. Sorry samsung. 

Also anyone else facing the issue? Maybe we can stage a protest (just kidding). But speak up...I guess.
14 Comments
mr_Kingtiger
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
My question is does S series phones have compass app pre-installed?
0 Likes
hexdrogen
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
You can just check in the maps. The gps dot shows the direction you are facing.
0 Likes
mr_Kingtiger
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
Okay thanks
0 Likes
itsHRSH
Active Level 6
Galaxy A
Yes, but it's not in the form of app, but instead, it is available in Edge Panel
mr_Kingtiger
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
Thanks for the hint
0 Likes
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
May I know the purpose of using compass app regularly? Just curious!
0 Likes
hexdrogen
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
I'm using the maps app. I'm talking about the compass sensor...
0 Likes
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
I don't find any issues with that on my A52s5g though. Always use the Google maps as well as the maps in strava app(for cycling).
0 Likes
hexdrogen
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
Can you check once rn? That if the beem from the gps dot and the direction of the phone aligns? (Coz I also got a A52 that has the same issue) I haven't noticed this before. Just after I noticed it on my A33, I started looking for it. Screenshot_20221118_232117_Maps_1000002576_1668794011.jpg
0 Likes