Original topic:

Issue with fingerprint sensor in A50 after December Update

(Topic created on: 12-22-2019 08:31 PM)
iamojasgupta
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy A
So, today (22nd December 2019) my December security patch showed up... the patch notes mentioned improved fingerprint sensor in terms of security and performance and it also suggested me to remove my previous fingerprint Id and create new ones to stay more secure... I deleted all id and went onto create a new one... but after 3-4 touches it started saying "please cover the sensor entirely" and ironically my whole thumb was covering the sensor and it always worked fine for me... but after update it's not letting me register fingerprint id... please help
23 Comments
shivam18
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Please first of all remove tempered glass and then check are you able to register fingerprint lock or not . If issue remains then kindly clear credential and then restart your device, after that try to register your device fingerprint . If still issue persist then try to register fingerprint lock in safe mode . If the issue remains in safe mode then it means that issue is because of any software bug or hardware issue, so please visit nearby service center for physical inspection of your device .
iamojasgupta
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
shivam18 bro, I have already mentioned that before update everything was fine (I registered my fingerprint id with tempered glass on and it was registered quickly and my phone also unlocked quickly) but now with same tempered glass still on, it tells me to cover sensor properly... looks like some bug where the sensor isn't working properly
vødka
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
December 2019 update also fixes the Galaxy A50 fingerprint issue

The fingerprint registration process was broken in firmware versions A505FNXXS3ASK9 and A505FDDS3ASK8. It would read the fingerprint normally until the process reached 41 percent completion. It would either require too many attempts to finish the registration or simply throw up an error that said “Make sure the fingerprint sensor is clean and dry, then try again”.

Users were caught unaware as the update had advised them to re-register their fingerprint to benefit from the improvements. However, they couldn’t re-register their fingerprints after deleting them. We received many reports from affected users and were able to reproduce the issue on our own device.

Samsung is now rolling out the December 2019 security patch for the Galaxy A50 and a handful of other devices. The update for the Galaxy A50 also fixes this issue. Those who were unable to re-register their fingerprints on the device will be able to do that once they get the latest update. The firmware version A505FDDU3ASKA is gradually rolling out. It’s also available for download from our firmware section.

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Community! Thank you so much for taking time to write us. We value your trust, and we will do our best to continue to give you the kind of service you expect.
We appreciate your loyalty, thank you for sharing your concerns with the Community!
Be sure to hit ♡ when you find an answer that works for you.
follow us for more info.
iamojasgupta
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
the issue you described above is exactly what's happening to me after December update... and before update my device was just fine... looks like I gotta wait for january update now 🥺
0 Likes
Vikram27
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
how to download latest firmware
0 Likes
Gurmeet1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy A
firmware link
0 Likes
Gurmeet1
Expert Level 4
Galaxy A
you mentioned versions not exist actually
0 Likes
iamojasgupta
Active Level 3
Galaxy A
the version I updated to and the issue I'm facing... can you guys make sure you're on the same update as well ? that will be very helpful, thankyou
0 Likes
Sarthak07
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
Use the trick: Instead of covering the sensor completely. Cover 85-95% of it. ( You'll be able to see green light from sides)
This will help you to register the fingerprints.