Original topic:

Galaxy A50 pocket auto unlock issue.

(Topic created on: 08-28-2019 07:25 AM)
saxonvincent
Active Level 2
Options
Galaxy A

I have recently bought my Galaxy A50 (5th day today) and already suffering with the auto unlock issue. I have had my fingerprints scanned and security level up to 'Pin'. Yet the phone auto unlocks when it is in my pocket. 

I have taken the phone outside and confirmed how it happens. When I press the phone to my chest, the fingerprint scanner gets activated. One more press to chest (As in your phone is in your shirt pocket or jeans pocket), the phone unlocks!

Now, I have searched and tried every suggestion and tips the experts recommended on various blogs / communities / YouTube channels etc.; but nothing seems to be resolving the issue. Accidental touch on, double tap off, lift to wake off, smart unlock off, screen sensitivity off, flip cover auto unlock off; you name it, I have tried every thing and nothing works.

The phone will get unlocked when it is in my pocket, period!

The only thing that stops this issue is removing your fingerprint data. Once it is removed and you select unlocking preference as pin or pattern, there is no more auto unlock in your pocket. So I figured it out that the issue lies within the fingerprint scanner. 

Now, I really like to use the fingerprint scanner in my phone, else why the **bleep** I shelled out around 18k Indian rupees for a phone which won't work to its full potential?

Now I need Samsung to address this issue and give me a real solution. As I said, tweaking the settings aren't helping. Is my device faulty ? Is the hardware faulty ? Is there chances that the whole A50 phones are faulty ? Is there a manufacturing detect ? Should Samsung recall all the A50 phones out there in the wild ? Remember the Note 7 fiasco ? Do I have to spread the news to all never to buy Samsung devices with on screen fingerprint scanners because they are faulty ? I have learnt the S10 / S10s duos are also suffering from the same issue!

I have spend the money on a phone and I expect complete functionality from it. Now Samsung has to give me a solution on this.

14 Comments
saxonvincent
Active Level 2
Galaxy A

The issue is with the fingerprint scanner. Once you remove the fingerprints and choose unlocking option as pin or pattern, the phone will not auto unlock. The scanner is faulty. Samsung should recall and replace / refund all the Galaxy A50s.

0 Likes
ItsMike
Active Level 2
Galaxy A
yes the same issue I have faced from the beginning...samsung should fix this ..with the coming software update...please update with the community for the better result ...
0 Likes
sashzgalaxy
Active Level 4
Galaxy A
I not facing this issue I have been using A50 for about 4 months
0 Likes
saxonvincent
Active Level 2
Galaxy A

Are you using any screen protector?

0 Likes
saxonvincent
Active Level 2
Galaxy A

Guys ..

I think I just might have solved the issue.

I was pondering around what might be the issue and figured it out that it might be the problem with proximity sensor not working in tandem with fingerprint sensor.

My points:

When you enable double tap to wake and accidental touch off is kept off, the phone will still not wake up if you engage the proximity sensor (cover it with your palm). No matter the accidental touch protection is on or off, double tap to wake will not work if proximity sensor is detecting your body part.

So that means even the proximity sensor is working fine. Because screen perfectly switches off during calls.

So the issue might be a software bug in accidental touch protection settings and that hopefully can be rectified by a software update from Samsung.

Now the resolution regarding unlock in pocket:

Turn on double tap to wake.

Switch on or off accidental touch protection. (I didn't find a difference being it on or off, yet better keep it on I guess.) 

Now remove your finger prints and add them again. Don't anable touch to show fingerprint, because in this case, screen will still wake up even if proximity sensor is engaged and thus will drain more battery. 

And the phone will not unlock in pocket!!! 🤗

It's working for me, you guys please give it a try and let me know. I guess the double tap to wake keeps the proximity sensor active and somehow clears the issue.

0 Likes