Original topic:

April 2021 Android security update reaches Galaxy Note 8

(Topic created on: 04-14-2021 01:30 PM)
SuRRealSaGar
Expert Level 2
Options
Galaxy A

The patch is already live across Latin America and is expected to keep expanding to more territories momentarily. The Galaxy Note 8 thus joined the dozen or so Samsung devices that already made the jump to the latest firmware.

The newly introduced patch is identified by PDA version number N950FXXSEDUC2. No other changes or additions are part of this release, as was to be expected from an update targeting a 2017 smartphone.

In regards to Android security updates, the Galaxy Note 8 has been on a quarterly release cycle as of last year. Meaning there’s still only a couple of updates left in the pipeline before we enter the “no promises” territory. That’s hardly a surprise for a device that will be turning three this summer.

As per usual, you don’t have to sit idly in preparation for the April 2021 patch to arrive on your Galaxy Note 8. If you bring up the Settings app and go to Software update > Download and install, you’ll trigger a manual search for the latest OTA. Which will likely succeed if the rollout already reached our country

2 Comments
saarang007
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
The April patch is available now. Installed today. All seems to be working fine.
Samsung_RKT1ZZV
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

Lock screen status bar shows "No SIM card - Emergency calls onlyLock screen status bar shows "No SIM card - Emergency calls onlyStatus bar shows no  network range or SIMStatus bar shows no network range or SIMTrying to open SIM Card Manager shows a blank black page and the phone becomes unresponsive for a whileTrying to open SIM Card Manager shows a blank black page and the phone becomes unresponsive for a whileIMEI Information page shows IMEIs as unknown. Phone is dual SIMIMEI Information page shows IMEIs as unknown. Phone is dual SIMSoftware Information showing I'm on the latest software patch after flashing latest stock firmwareSoftware Information showing I'm on the latest software patch after flashing latest stock firmware

My Galaxy Note 8 cannot make calls after this update. Tried soft reset, hard reset, flashing stock firmware, and nothing changed. The update that came after resolved nothing.

The phone doesn't recognize my SIM, the SIM Card Manager in Settings do not work, IMEIs are unknown.

The phone has not had any custom ROMs, and has remained close to stock forever since purchase. I cannot sign into my Samsung Account as it shows "unknown error". This is the phone I use for work, and I cannot in good faith use my Notes that contain my drawings and notes.

Also, my phone now restarts randomly. I have seen forum discussions about this happening last year after the July patch. I didn't have any problems then.

0 Likes