Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Android 13 - Battery backup reduced significantly - A52s5g

(Topic created on: 01-14-2023 07:41 PM)
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy A
On Android 12, September patch, I was getting 7 hours minimum SOT from 100 to 20 percent. After Android 13(December security patch), it has been reduced to 5 hours.

That's a drastic reduction of 2 freaking hours of screen on time!!
I already knew that they messed up the battery after the December update but never thought that it will be this worse!

Yes, I did send them feedback and error reports and received the mandatory copy-pasted BS reply. 

Hoping to get the January update soon which MAY fix the issue. TBH I have lost faith in Samsung and wouldn't have updated if not for the 5g. Everything was smooth on Android 12, especially the battery life. A 2-hour plus reduction is not acceptable.

Nb: The reduction in battery life is happening when I am not on 5g. At this rate, I am afraid that the phone will have to be used as a landphone(full-time on charger)when I am on 5g.

Android 13 - 100 to 20 percent

Android 12 - 85 to 20 percent

Android 12 - 85 to 20 percent

Nb: THE ANDROID 12 ONES ARE FROM 85 TO 20 WHILE THE ANDROID 13 ONE IS FROM 100 TO 20.
55 Comments
Solution
markwilliam
Active Level 9
Galaxy A
Yes December update is the culprit here...not really android 13...android 13 battery life was more or less the same that of android 12..but it is the December update which significantly affected the battery life
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
Let's see whether they will fix it with January update.
markwilliam
Active Level 9
Galaxy A
I really hope they would..i hate it really when a software update degrades battery life...by the way its almost halfway through the month but still no signs of January update..do you have any idea when it will hit our device??
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
We will get it by end of this month. Only A52 and A52s are the devices which get updates within the month other than s22 series nowadays.
0 Likes
adi4brc
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy A
1)Our devices are released with some OS for example X. The hardware is meant for that OS only. When you are upgrading it to X+1,2,3 like that obviously underlying hardware doesn't support and starts draining your battery.
2) it is the Samsung or any other mobile phone company strategy to promise your 3 years of major updates to decrease your mobile performance so that you will buy new one. 😀
0 Likes
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
I don't agree to that because I had a redmi note 5 pro with snapdragon 632 and it used to give me 7 plus hours of SOT even after 3 years and 2 Android updates.

Here, my A52s5g has a much more powerful sd 778 and after just 2 Android updates, the sot reduced by 4 hours. This is just poor optimisation. Our smartphones are much more powerful than we think. It's just that the manufacturers deliberately slows it down or degrades it OR it's carelessness from the part of developers. Compared to the heavy games that the phones handle these days, a software update should be a cakewalk.

Also, pixel phones usually improve on battery life after updates unlike Samsung. So, if the hardware can't handle, it should be same for all devices.
Solution
Bijan25
Active Level 1
Galaxy A
I think Samsung ignored this device because now it is one year old.
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
Samsung does that with almost all devices.
0 Likes
Solution
Kunal2
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
5 hrs is very less bro. I think this is bcoz you have updated from sept to December so 3-4 updates at a time. Those couple of updates will definitely affect your battery. I think after a week or two your sot will incresse but don't expect more than 6 hrs
Sid_Karna
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
I updated using the smart switch. So it was only 2 updates for me. The first update was direct to Android 13 and the next one was December's security patch.

What's the SOT you are getting? Also, did you used to get 8 to 10 hours of SOT from 85 to 20 percent battery while on Android 12?