Original topic:

why i am against of any type fo fingerprint readers

(Topic created on: 05-22-2020 01:12 AM)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Community Guidelines

The new research used 3D printing technology to bypass fingerprint scanners and tested it against Apple, Samsung and Microsoft mobile products.

New research has found that it’s possible to use 3D printing technology to create “**bleep** fingerprints” that can bypass most fingerprint scanners used by popular devices. But, creating the attack remains costly and time-consuming.

Researchers with Cisco Talos created different threat models that use 3D printing technology and then tested them on mobile devices (including the iPhone 8 and Samsung S10), laptops (including the Samsung Note 9, Lenovo Yoga and HP Pavilion X360) and smart devices (such as a smart padlock).

The **bleep** fingerprints achieved an 80 percent success rate on average, where the sensors were bypassed at least once. Researchers did not have success in defeating biometrics systems in place on Microsoft Windows 10 devices (though they said that this does not mean they are not necessarily safer; just that this particular approach did not work).

However, the bigger takeaway is the sheer amount of time and budget that it still takes when creating threat models to bypass fingerprint sensors. At the end of the day, researchers said they had to create more than 50 molds and test them manually, which took months – and, they struggled to stay under a self-imposed budget of $2,000. These challenges point to the fact that a scalable, easy type of attack is not yet possible for bypassing biometrics.

Biometrics is not an Achilles heel,” Craig Williams, director of Cisco Talos Outreach, told Threatpost. “Biometrics is something that makes it very, very easy to use. You don’t have to remember a password. You don’t have to enter a password, which makes it very fast and easy. You don’t have to carry anything around with you. And so I think for most users, it’s still perfectly fine.”

my reason 

1 corvid 19  this biometric can create a lot of problem in this type of situation like regular touching the fingerprint reader also gives room for the bacteria and virus to reproduce themselves 

2 reason it's easy to fool it

3 convenient is the factor that fingerprints are used that totally fine even I agree upon that  but the convince also cost I am not saying only fingerprints but others as well I am targeting the fingerprint for one reason sleeping unlocking and unintentionally unlocking and some times some crazy person trying to unlock your phone even when you are not aware of 

4 once the person learns about which finger is used the unlock the device he/she can try to unlock it when you are not aware 

it's fine you don't agree with me I know everyone has their choices

5 no matter what you say about ultrasonic, capacitive or even optical they weren't so much secure as you think 

6 at least iris or 3d face scanner in which you are aware of when to unlock or not moreover you unlock you phone at your watch not in blind 

3 Comments
Raian114
Active Level 6
Community Guidelines

Huge description 

immi007
Expert Level 5
Community Guidelines
Nice Reasons

and good information Bhai
0 Likes
Aashish
Expert Level 4
Community Guidelines
People can unlock your Iris locked phone too bro, with a nice model of your eye. Every type of current locking mechanism can be hacked in some way or the other.
0 Likes